16. Jacob 2:30 can't be used to support plural marriage.
1. Review what Jacob 2:23-30 says:
23 But the word of God burdens me
because of your grosser crimes. For behold, thus saith the Lord:
This people begin to wax in iniquity; they understand not the
scriptures, for they seek to excuse themselves in committing
whoredoms, because of the things which were written concerning
David, and Solomon his son.
Jacob 2:30 should be read as follows:
For if I will, saith the Lord of hosts, raise up [righteous] seed unto me, I will command my people [the Lord will be their commander—He will give them commandments to obey]: otherwise [if the Lord is not their commander; or they do not obey His commandments], they shall hearken unto these things [they shall practice the sins of polygamy].
Basically, the "these things" are the evils of polygamy that these people might hearken to because they don't obey the Lord.
2. June 2015 Analysis of Jacob 2:30 - Entry 34 Be True To Your Wife
3. January 2017 - A Proposed Reinterpretation of Jacob 2:30
4. A January 2022 analysis of Jacob 2:30 - "Raising
Up Seed" and the Polygamy Question