Joseph Smith - Honest Seer or Lying Polygamis
The standard Latter-day Saint narrative is the Joseph
Smith introduced polygamy, had many wives and lied
about it. Joseph spoke out strongly against polygamy
many times. Is it possible that we incorrectly cast him as
- Joseph and Hyrum constantly
preached against plural marriage.
Scriptures warned against polygamy and D&C132
- Joseph's history
was modified to change his position on plural marriage.
- Joseph was sealed
to men and women. They were not sexual
- Memory is not a reliable source for accurate
- Emma, Lucy and William Smith all testify that polygamy
didn't come from Joseph. William was even a polygamist.
- Most of the evidence implicating Joseph came during
the 1880s when the church was trying to prove that
Joseph originated an essential doctrine of the church.
- DNA tests have
revealed that all possible biological descendants only
come from Emma.
- The "marriage" to Fanny Alger in the 1835-36 was
brought up in the High Council court in Far West where
Oliver admitted that Joseph didn't do anything wrong.
- Living husbands of wives that were sealed to Joseph
never complained in the slightest.
- There was a sudden rise in the number of plural
marriages among the leaders of the church within the
year following the deaths of Joseph and Hyrum
- The story of an angel with a sword telling Joseph that
he must start the practice was also a late source and
doesn't agree with the ways of God.
- Evidence suggests that it was Brigham
not Joseph that started plural marriage.
- Hyrum Smith was
not a polygamist as has been claimed.