We can see the testimony of the witnesses and they tell of marvelous spiritual experiences that confirm to them that these plates in Brazil come from God. But then we have Denver Snuffer who has opened our eyes to truth and he is suggesting that these Brazil plates are bogus. What are his reasons?
Here are some thoughts to consider on these points.
- He says the correct angel that gave the plates to Joseph Smith Jr. wasn't Moroni, but Nephi
- Joseph Smith Jr. became the custodian of the plates.
- If anyone gets the plates today, they will come from Joseph and he was never in Brazil (to deposit them there).
- Angels will not do for man what man can do for themselves.
- Moroni was not resurrected and so would not be delivering plates.
- He hasn't bothered to ask God
- Although Joseph named the angel that appeared to him as Nephi, Moroni could have met Joseph at the Hill Cumorah.
- From this excerpt in Joseph Smith - History, we could conclude that Moroni received the plates, so that he could later give them to another.
59 At length the time arrived for obtaining the plates, the Urim and Thummim, and the breastplate. On the twenty-second day of September, one thousand eight hundred and twenty-seven, having gone as usual at the end of another year to the place where they were deposited, the same heavenly messenger delivered them up to me with this charge: that I should be responsible for them; that if I should let them go carelessly, or through any neglect of mine, I should be cut off; but that if I would use all my endeavors to preserve them, until he, the messenger, should call for them, they should be protected.
60 ... When, according to arrangements, the messenger called for them, I delivered them up to him; and he has them in his charge until this day, being the second day of May, one thousand eight hundred and thirty-eight.
- After Joseph received the plates so that he could show them to the 8 witnesses, we have no information about what happened to them. If Joseph sealed them up and hid them because he was the custodian of them now. And if that means that Joseph should be the one that gives them to someone, the same logic would imply that Moroni would be the one that gave them to Joseph and not Nephi. As it says in the Title page of the Book of Mormon:
Sealed by the hand of Moroni, and hid up unto the Lord, to come forth in due time by way of the Gentile—The interpretation thereof by the gift of God.
- Yes, angels will not do what man can do himself. So we have to decide if man could have retrieved the plates and who had custody of them.
- Moroni wasn't resurrected. When Denver was discussing the name of the angel that appeared to Joseph. He made this comment:
Nephi is the more likely to have been resurrected considering when he was born and when he died. Post-Christ era resurrection is normally confined to the Second Coming. (See, e.g., D&C 133: 56.) There are exceptions, but they are for highly specific reasons, based on individual covenants.It is possible that Moroni fits this condition and was resurrected.
- We can't know all the reasons why Denver hasn't talked to God about this.